Saturday, January 12, 2013

Step One is always Belief

I listened to a couple stories today about limiting belief and success. The first one was from Orrin Woodward. He talked about his freshman teammate passing him in the high school county cross country race. Orrin was mentally defeating himself for the first two miles rationalizing a poor performance on his legs being tight and lungs hurting. He believed that he was destined to run a terrible race; he was succeeding at it! However, he also believed that he always beat his freshman teammate. His teammate called him out, "I'm going to beat you today Orrin! You're just jogging!" Nothing really changed in Orrin except for his belief. His belief that he beats the freshman every time outweighed his limiting belief. It led him to his fastest mile time of the season (5:02) and first-team all-county in cross country. 

Secondly, I was eating a burrito today with some friends. One of them talked about an eating contest she was going to do in the future. She planned to eat a giant sandwich (looked nearly two feet long and 4 inches high when she gestured its size). Although she has never done it before, she talked with immense confidence. "I know that I can do it... If I believe I can do it, I'll find a way." It is to be determined what actually happens for that contest, but I could see her belief in her eyes. 

In the Magic of Thinking Big (described by Orrin Woodward, who has read 1000s of books, as having THE MOST NUMBER OF TRUE principles of a manmade book) Schwartz says, "When you believe something is impossible, your mind goes to work for you to prove why. But, when you believe, really believe, something can be done, your mind goes to work for you and helps you to find the ways to do it... Believing something can be done paves the way for creative solutions."

In my life, I have seen that true as well. I related my favorite personal story yesterday. Because I was believed in, I developed the belief in myself. I made it happen. The other stories yesterday speak to this idea too. 

Ultimately, the main thing that truly determines success is an unwavering commitment on a daily basis to do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to make it happen. Having the belief that, "Today, I am doing everything in my power to make it happen. Eventually, it will happen" will change everything. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment