Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Developing New Habits is HARD!!

Developing and maintaining a good habit is HARD TO DO! For instance, right now. I have this streak going of posting a new blog every day for the last 10 days. But... I don't feel like writing it! That is probably due to the fact that right around day ten, the brick wall hits. At least that is true for me. This is when the distractions come in. This is when the doubt comes in.

"Is it really worth it to post one everyday?"
"What about church? Reading? School? Work? You don't have time for this!"
"What if you back it down to every other day? Wouldn't that make your posts better?"
"Is anyone going to know whether or not you did?"
"You haven't told anyone that you started writing again. No one will care."
"Waking up early and sticking to a routine is inconvenient."

Valid points. Maybe this is irrelevant. Maybe I should do it less often. Yes it is inconvenient. Yes it takes time. Nobody is watching. But this is exactly why I NEED to keep this up. In all likelihood, I have posted this quote before. It ranks in the top 10 of my all time favorite quotes:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
Calvin Coolidge

I know that this is the truth. Commitment, hunger, and persistence. These interrelated things are the key.  With them, you can overcome any negativity, any ailment, any initial disadvantage. So here I am, day 11, persisting. It is definitely been getting harder when I lost focus on the goal. You stay up late one night, don't wake up on time the next day, miss your morning routine, don't study scripture/read/blog, struggle through the day, don't feel like doing it at night, stay up extra for no reason, miss waking up again... etc. It is SOOOO easy to revert back to old ways.

I know I can do this! If nothing else, writing this helps me. And that is why I blog. It is a way to record my thought process in a different way than my journal. It is a way for me to store ideas and potentially share them. It is helping me write more effectively. It is good. Creating something from the inputs of the day is a valuable skill!

Until tomorrow,
Jeff :)

--> I think that one person might read this page. If that person is you,  feel free to post anything in the comments. Even a simple. "Cool" or "I like you" or "Thank you" or "You suck" or "Try again" or "I read this, (insert name here)." would be appreciated. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool Jeff, and I am reading this :D
    -Jamison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, I read your blog! I'm just now catching up on what you've posted since I left on my mission. I love your attitude and outlook on life - you're awesome! Keep it up :)

    Katie Sorensen

    ReplyDelete