Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Luke 10

I was just doing my morning scripture study looking for some inspiration to remember in my daily life. One of the things that I read in Luke chapter 10 was the story of the good Samaritan. One of the things that is so often glossed over in this story is the money the Samaritan uses. He gives twopence or two denarii depending on where you read it. According to another piece of Scripture in Matthew, the worth of one of them is a full days wages. This Samaritan willingly gave at least two days wages to a man who he saw injured on the side of the road while traveling. He took him to an in and promised and keeper that if he stays longer and this is not enough to take care of them, I will pay you all that is needed.
Some people that I know overemphasize the scripture that talks about him and Richmand cannot enter the kingdom of heaven similarly that a camel cannot to go through an eye on a needle. However the emphasis in by Jesus in the Scriptures is not having money is the problem. For if there was nobody with money then Jesus would not have been able to eat or stay somewhere inside. He needed it other people to go out of their way to take care of him take care of other people in order to continue his ministry. Instead it's a love of money. If you don't spend time on a regular basis remembering who gave you your wealth, then you will certainly fall into that category. In our society we need more good God-fearing people who are independently wealthy. There are far too many wealthy people who forget who gave them all they have.
One other thing that I really like about Luke chapter 10 was that Jesus said to his disciples and the 70 that he set apart that the harvest is great, but the laborers are few. He needs more people serving Him.
I say these things because I am striving to serve Him everyday. I am striving to develop an income that allows me to do good everyday and facilitates my service of The Lord. For if I spent most of my waking life working (avg person spends 100,000 hrs at their job), I will not be able to serve Him and spend time with my family as well as if that was my entire focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment