Sunday, January 6, 2013

Love the Scripture: Luke 5-7

You know, these scriptures are amazing. Growing up Catholic, every week at mass there is a Gospel passage read consisting of anywhere between a few versus to a few chapters at Easter. I never realized how dense the four Gospels are with epic awesomeness. In the chapters I read last night and this morning (Luke 5-7), there are so many parts of them that have been used as the whole Gospel reading on a given Sunday.

Two of my favorite parts (there are sooooo many awesome other parts in these couple chapters it is ridiculous) were the last 5-10 versus in chapter 6 and the last 5-10 versus of chapter 7. I could literally write SOOOOO much on both of them. There are so many nuggets in each. Literally, you could pull more than 5 readings in just these two small parts of Luke! --> AND after writing, I ended up adding more epically awesome scripture too!! :)

What hit me most last night was Luke 6:47: "Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and DOETH THEM, I will show you to who he is like." --> man who builds foundation on rock. One of doesn't builds on sand.

I can't believe it, but I forgot that DOETH was the key. Last night I was at a seminar and the speaker talked about how everyone wants to be a teacher and nobody DOES anymore. How it is so important for us to actually take action and put information into practice. It made me think of Calvin Coolidge's quote on persistence. We just need people who DO.

To go along with that idea, I forgot that I also loved Luke 4:24 & Luke 5:26. They speak how a prophet is not accepted in his/her hometown and to beware of men speaking well of you. In this world, having critics means you are a threat. If you don't have critics, then you aren't doing anything that is worthwhile. That's why I love Orrin Woodward. The speaker at the seminar last night gave up a VERY comfortable 7+ figure annual income to follow Orrin's leadership. He said that Orrin has been through numerous legal battles, but he has NEVER heard Orrin talk badly about anyone. Orrin has so many critics it is ridiculous. He is someone making an impact on this world. He is someone I'm striving to be like.

Lastly, just a few minutes ago I read the story in Luke 7 about the woman anointing Jesus's feet with ointment and bathing them in her tears. How much do I need to do that?!!? I'm more like her than I care to realize. Jesus then tells a story about forgiveness with the conclusion being the one who loves the master most is the one to whom the most is forgiven. That is who I want to be. The most forgiven (as I learned in Institute class) is the person who has repented the most. The woman recognizes how much she has fallen short. -- that last sentence was impactful to write because we ALL, myself VERY MUCH INCLUDED, fall short. 

I LOVE this scripture. The message of hope. The example of Jesus is unbelievably perfect. I'm reading the New Testament everyday just to have a chance to associate with Him and become more like Him. I know it will only get more difficult - the rains will come. But by starting my day this way searching the scriptures and asking for help, I can make it through.

And I am definitely focusing on a much smaller piece of something next time. This took me longer than expected to write! And I haven't even glanced over it.

I love my Heavenly Father and His plan. *sigh. I'm so grateful. Now it is time to make it KNOWN to Him by actually DOING. I will get rejected, especially in the towns I have been in the most. They will say, "Is this not the kid I watched grow up and make all these mistakes and more?" That is how I will know I'm on the right path. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment