Thursday, August 18, 2011

Talent is Overrated

I'm re immersing myself into what has got to be my favorite book that I've read so far called "Talent is Overrated." The reason I say that is because I become immediately inspired and awoken after reading a couple pages. Just now I read ~5 pages and felt like I couldn't go on because there was so many deep insights in just those few pages!

Basically the book goes through spectacular performers of a variety of disciplines and analyzes what separated them from the equally (if not more) talented performers in the same field. For example, Jerry Rice is the best statistical wide receiver in the history of the NFL. But he wasn't the fastest, strongest, or biggest out there compared to the other elite wide receivers. He worked harder in a specific way called "deliberate practice." Deliberate practice is basically doing the most painful demanding hard work that you have with the specific intention of improving a small area. The best idea I can think of would be of Tiger Woods (back in the day) who would practice hitting a specific bunker shot over and over and over even though he probably would only have to take that bunker shot ~5 times in the golf season.

What I just read was really powerful. I'm at a part that discusses great innovators (including Einstein, the Beatles, Freud, Gandhi, Picasso, etc). This is my favorite quote:
"It is certainly intensive and deep immersion in the domain, frequently under the direction of a teacher, but even when not, the innovator seems driven to learn as much as possible about the domain, to improve, to drive himself or herself beyond personal limits and eventually beyond the limits of the field."

I love that so much because I feel like that personally (hence the title of the blog!). I see myself as an innovator. I know I will be. To prepare myself for innovation in the future, I am immersing myself as much as possible into the things that I'm passionate about. I'm driven to learn as much as possible and expand as much as possible. I am going to be one of the top in my chosen field of expertise. Although to be honest I'm not 100% sure what field that is!

I personally recommend you search your heart to find something (if you haven't already) that you're passionate in and immerse yourself as much as possible into it. That is the key to loving life and learning. With that, you will be driven (like I am) to learn everything you can about the domain(s) that you love. And eventually, typically with immersion of ~10 years (the "ten-year rule" of success in any domain), you will be ready to become known and make real innovations in the field. :)

-Next posts will be likely about what I believe are the first couple key steps to setting your life up for success. :) Stay tuned! You'll like it. I'm excited to share! :)

I love my life! :)

1 comment:

  1. Dude I just read all of these and they are amazing! Some things I'm trying to practice in my life as well and somethings were definitely making me think from a different perspective, which in my opinion is very important to do. Keep up the good work and I'll keep on reading! By the way this is Daniel haha.

    ReplyDelete