Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Nutrition Focus

"Health is the greatest commodity you can ever have." - Dr. Joseph Mercola

As you may or may not know, one thing I am immensely interested is health. Basically, it comes from the simple rhetorical question: without your health, what do you have? Health is by far the most overlooked and most simple aspect to living well. Even people who love health and advocate positive health habits can occasionally overlook its importance. Case and point would be the fact that I am writing about this past the time I should be sleeping and therefore ignoring my own advice about sleeping adequately!

I'm definitely with all of you... a work in progress. I strive to learn more and more about proper health in regards to food/drink, exercise, and sleep so that I can begin to become more healthy. My ultimate goal is to have at least 50-60 healthy fully functioning years of my life. At that age, I want to be able to physically keep up with people in their 20s and 30s (like myself now!). I have been reading about health and nutrition for a while now but haven't started a regimen to implement what I have learned. To be completely honest, I'm writing this post to help develop more and more leverage on myself to start following the information I read and my own advice. :) It is also my hope that it might inspire you to check some of this information out and begin your own health program (or at least increase your knowledge about that stuff).

I took a free nutrition typing test from Dr. Mercola and found out I'm a mixed protein and carbohydrate type. And now, I have finally finished reading the first beginner level of his nutrition plan. There were definitely some hard things to take in... his first piece of advice was to cut out all gluten (aka white flour, wheat, and other grains). I personally believe small measurable progress is the name of the game. I don't think I can cut out all gluten yet, but I will slowly begin to. Here is my personal regimen for improving my health by following as much of his advice as possible:

  1. Never drink soda, juice, or pasteurized milk 
  2. Never eat baked goods like desserts
    1. I might eat some grains and pastas, but won't buy them
  3. Research healthy desserts... NOW! :)
  4. Get a blender for smoothies--> Magic Bullet 
  5. Get a Brita Filter for healthier water and a mini fridge
  6. Plan meals a day in advance and research healthy recipes
  7. Implement my exercise routine
  8. Go to bed by midnight (ideally it'll progress to bed @10pm, up at 6am soon...)
  9. Spend more time outside to get Vitamin D
  10. Pray and use EFT together daily (Emotional Freedom Technique - explanation is linked)
Lastly, if you are curious where I get my information about health, I subscribe to two blogs which are Mark's Daily Apple and Dr. Mercola. They are two of the top 3 'natural health' websites in the USA. Their information typically just makes a lot of sense to me. They are both quite smart and pursuing top holistic health.

I love my life! :)

2 comments:

  1. Love reading more about health and nutrition, too! I also linked over to the EFT video and tried the techniques on myself. They really helped...thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blender for smoothies is a great idea! I learned a recipe for alternative ice cream today: Freeze some fruit (try strawberries and bananas) then blend it with plain non-pasteurized yogurt and dates (an additional source of natural sugar). It might take a couple tries to get the consistency right, but it makes an excellent dessert :)

    ReplyDelete