Saturday, August 27, 2011

Developing Skills


While almost everyone knows the importance of having a clear end goal, it is sometimes hard to know exactly what you want. A lot of people (typically in college like myself), struggle with having an actual plan for the next couple years of their life. For people like us, it is hard to know exactly which career you will do when you 'grow up.' But there is one thing that we can do (and recommend all of you do regardless what point in life you are at) is define the skill set you will have in the future. You can plan out the specific skills that will help them you in life. 

Unfortunately a lot of people believe that they will magically wake up with new-found skills and talents. That their current procrastination and time management struggles will just end when they enter the 'real world.' I hate to break it to you, but we won't become more motivated, disciplined, responsible, or capable overnight. However, we can begin right now to develop new habits that we want to replace the ones we don't. 

There are two prominent habits that I'm working harder to improve: Staying organized (aka finishing what I start or cleaning up after myself) and finishing timely (aka not procrastinating, but doing important stuff first). I kinda need improvement in those areas to say the least... :)

Cleaning: As my mom can attest to and often reminds me, I am not currently skilled at cleaning up after myself. My room tends to look like a tornado went through there. I often put off cleaning dishes, my room, or miscellaneous other things until I 'feel like it.' But I am improving. :) I have intentionally focused on washing dishes after I use them. The major project that I'm working on right now is to clean up the Newman Center that I will work for in the fall. Although I wouldn't say I 'work-work' for them because it is more like a slightly compensated volunteer. I decided to take initiative, cleaning more there than at any time before in my life. I completely cleaned out the kitchen drawers and washed the shelves of the 'House.' My goal for cleaning and organizing in the future is to build it in to my daily life so that it is something I just do rather than a chore. I am going to love it. :)

Procrastination: I have implemented what I talked about before in separating spaces and started using my time during the day more effectively. In the little time between classes mondays, wednesdays, and fridays, I have done my homework in the Engineering Library on the school campus. By working on it then in these last two weeks, I have been able to finish it over two days before it is due. But more importantly, I have freed up my time to do other things I want to do more and have significantly reduced the amount of stress in my life. :)

Soooo I talked about myself, but what should you do now? Well, I'm glad you asked. Look at the different jobs you might want to do in the future and figure out what skills you need to have to do each of them. Write them down and devise a way to begin to develop them where you are right now. But you actually don't even REALLY need to have that much. Instead, just think of all the people you admire and what skills they have that you want to have. Then pick a couple to start working on. If you are struggling with ideas, some simple ones are listed here in an article "10 skills you need to succeed in almost anything." Good luck! And don't give up. :) 

I love my life! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mr. Campbell, your blog is AWESOME!!!And you did do a wonderful job cleaning the Newman House :)

    ReplyDelete