Monday, August 15, 2011

My Daily Prayers 1

Since I'm going to bed right now, I was reminded of one of the prayers that I say every night before I go to bed. When I realized the addictions that I had in my life a few months ago at the end of May, a friend of mine told me an addiction that she had never told anyone else. I never would have expected it. It was then that I truly realized that in all likelihood, everyone I know is going through something that they feel they cannot control or stop. Most of the time it isn't called an addiction, but in a way it is. I separated the prayer intentionally into four parts to analyze it in its components. :)

"I pray for all those who suffer from addiction and other destructive habits, that they may feel comfortable and safe to come to You how they are, with all their faults and failings. May they put their faith in you and trust in your saving grace to be freed from it and to achieve your greater purpose for them in life." 

The regular part: I want it to apply to every human being and include all the patterns of thinking and acting that we habitually fall into. It could be depression, it could be thinking "I can't," it could be eating unhealthy food, not sleeping, or even excessive worrying. 
The underlined part: In the past, like many people, I have struggled with just going for it despite the fact that I am unworthy or unready. In all likelihood, there is no better time than the present to take action. Everyone struggles with being prepared or ready for the next step in life. God understands, already knows, and is there for us in our failings. 
The italic part: It is quite wonderful that our God gives grace so freely. It is by the grace of God that we are able to reach our potential and overcome our addictions. So here, I ask God that everyone will believe that he CAN save them and help them get over their struggles. 
The bold part: Nobody is just their sins, their addictions, their negative patterns of behavior/thinking. We are MORE (just like one of my new favorite songs by Tenth Avenue North) than the problems we create. God has a greater purpose for us in life. We are all significant. It truly pains me when I see people that simply don't believe that they have any hope in life. I have only scratched the surface in realizing how many people I affect on a daily basis. I would bet that you don't realize it. 

I hope you like it. :)

I love my life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment