Friday, August 5, 2011

Separating Spaces

It is simply almost impossible to do completely different activities in the same place. Having one room to eat, sleep, read, work, surf the internet, and play games is definitely not the most effective set-up. It is however the most efficient use of space, but it ultimately won't be the most efficient use of your time. Maybe my personal experiences right now will help you to find a way to figure out how to take advantage of other places besides just your one room.

I relate to this most today because I have currently been using one space to do the majority of those things: sleep, read, work, learn, and surf the internet. In one corner I have my bed, another my reading chair, another my work supplies, another my desk for school work, and my laptop sitting on my desk. But then I also have all my clothes in a dresser (though often the floor with other random things) and a bookcase. While I feel great that I am maximizing the use of the prime real estate of my bedroom, most often it causes major confusion. But there really isn't a lot of other choices in the house I live in with roommates on completely different schedules as me. They typically take over our living room to party or watch TV/movies or play videogames. Since I'm rather addicted to TV and videogames, it is VERY challenging to function with them being used and loud on the other side of my thin room walls! 

Probably my LEAST productive place is my room. It is a daily struggle to keep any semblance of organization in my room causing major problems in my focus and effectiveness. With everything going on in it, the environment doesn't 'tune me in' to accomplishing the particular task I want to get done. The environment is HUGE; the feel of a place can do wonders. I've tried to fix this by covering my room with prayers, quotes, and inspirational posters, but it isn't working out. I feel very fortunate to be living here with a enough amount of space for all the stuff I need and living in close proximity to stores, school, and downtown. However there are times I wish I had more space and less DISTRACTIONS! 

For me, I have found a couple places that I'm going to be taking advantage of starting today. As part of the Student Staff at my Newman Catholic Church, I have access to their 3 church buildings: the 'Chapel,' 'Center,' and 'House.' In the House there is a seldom used small office that I just discovered yesterday. I will use that as my work and planning place. The Library at my church will be used for studying for classes. The 15 seat kitchen table in the House will be used for working on Newman Staff stuff. The Chapel will be an extra place to pray more. Behind the church there is 2 lots of unused grassy/dirt area. I can use that area for reading, drawing, or meditating. And then finally I will surf the internet, do my morning/evening routines, write in my gratitude journal, and write in this blog in my bedroom. 

I HIGHLY recommend developing different places that you habitually do activities. Among these activities could be sleep, read, eat, study, work, drawing, etc. As you can tell by the places I have chosen, they don't necessarily have to be in your house. It could be studying in the library or reading at a park. It could be drawing in your frontyard or working in your home office. Try it out! :)

I love my life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment