Friday, December 23, 2011

Faith Without Works?

I was listening to one of my favorite songs on youtube: Who Am I? By Casting Crowns when I noticed the first quote shown in the video from the bible. It is the probably one of the most quoted versus in the bible. It is Ephesians 2:8-9 saying: "For it is by grace you are saved, through faith... not works, so that no one can boast. For me it raised the age old question of "Are works required to enter the kingdom of heaven?"

Before we begin, some definitions I'm using that will help understanding of my writing:
1.) 'Faith' means claiming to believe: 'Jesus is my Lord and Savior'
2.) 'Works' means spreading the Gospel with words or actions, making your faith in Christ known in the physical realm.

And I think I've answered it in a way that would actually make both sides of the arguing happy. Let's see if it makes sense once I write it... (and if it is unsatisfying or inaccurate, please tell me!)

First, I think it is illogical for 'works' to somehow secure your place in Heaven. The idea of an Almighty tallying my good works and bad works to ultimately make some balancing decision as to wether or not I deserve Heaven strikes me as... odd. I guess it would be possible because only He would be capable of judging us by some humanly incomprehensible criteria such as balancing our earthly actions. However, I don't see how such a method like that would work adequately.

Second, I think it is illogical for mere 'faith' to somehow secure your place in Heaven. How can someone who says, "I believe in Jesus!" and simultaneously mistreat people deserve a place in Heaven? Wasn't one reason that Jesus came into the world to show the Pharisees that they weren't living in line with God's commands? As I recall, they were more or less 'for show' followers of the Tanakh (the Jewish biblical texts) rather than people who followed the spirit of the law. They claimed to believe and be in the right, but they weren't. Also, without 'works' we wouldn't be here! The early apostles and disciples of Christ shared the good news (I think that is a 'work') with the world. So, I don't believe that having only 'faith' is enough.

However, while the absolute versions of both above statements are inherently flawed, there is some truth in both of those two arguments. The reason why works can't guarantee Heaven is because you can have works without true sincere belief and faith in the Lord. Similarly, many people who claim to have true sincere belief and faith in the Lord are just for show; that can't guarantee Heaven by any means. The key ingredient is sincerity of HEART. Only the Lord can see our hearts and know whether or not it truly believes and trusts in HIM. That is the key.

But it doesn't end there. For a second ponder this question: Would it be possible for someone who truly has 'faith' that the Lord Jesus is their Savior to not engage to some degree in 'works'?

I personally don't think it is possible. Do you think it would make sense to look at someone's 'works' after they confirm their 'faith' in the Lord to see if they are TRULY devoted to the Lord? Of Course! Again... Is it possible to not have works if you truly believe that Jesus is your Savior? I mean, how can you freakin just sit there and do nothing with your 'faith' when the world needs you?!?!?!? (I'm getting excited here...) :D

SOOOOO, I believe that faith and works go hand in hand. It is impossible to accept the Gospel as truth and not have it affect your life in any way. True belief stirs souls. It forces action in line with the Gospel Principles. I mean, if it didn't stir the souls of the initial apostles to do works, we wouldn't even be here! With a true examination of one's own heart, anyone can find out for themselves if their belief in Christ is truly sincere. God knows as well whether or not any person's faith and works are sincere. No amount of faith without works and works without faith can make up for the HEART that resides in the person. :)

"Just remember, you can do anything you set your mind to, but it takes action, perseverance, and facing your fears."

I love my life! :)

P.S. If this argument was unsatisfying, can you please tell me? I ask because I think this would make sense to all Christians to some degree. However, I can't say I am 100% familiar with the arguments made on this issue by different Christian religions, so it is possible that I am off. So... I'd love to know what you think! :)

1 comment:

  1. The same applies to anything you set your sincerity of heart too. :)
    - Z

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete