Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Innate Human Dignity

I just had a mini epiphany in the idea of human dignity. 

For some background, yesterday I received an email from the "social justice committee" from my church. They are reading books and becoming semi-active politically in fighting for rights for the imprisoned and against capital punishment. I read an article included in the email about people who claim to be Catholic, but support the death penalty and how those aren't compatible. 

Then just now I was rereading a section of a book ("How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People") that said: "You would automatically practice god human relations if you would remember that every individual is important, because every individual is a child of God." And I noticed a very puzzling inconsistency with a large number of people.

Not to say that unborn babies, the very aged elderly, or the death row inmates are not worthy of being concerned about and fought for (because they are), but it is somewhat shocking that the same people who fight for their rights turn around and disrespect people that aren't in those situations. Or they attack the character of people who have the opposite viewpoint. While, the other person may deserve it, attacking their character is not giving them the respect that they also deserve as a human being as well!

I thought of this because I have been guilty for this type of mistake myself: How can I condemn people for condemning people!? I feel like that is one of the most powerful and curious flaws that so many of us have! This point can be furthered by extrapolating this issue to a more commonplace experiences. 

Yesterday I was sitting in my room over hearing a conversation in another room of my house where people were talking about others behind their back. I was highly critical of them in my head. Later in the day, I nearly told friend of mine how I couldn't believe my housemates were talking behind someone's back! Haha. 

These seemingly innocent events, I believe, are one of the biggest problems socially in our society. It is so commonplace to forget to give people the human dignity, confront them with problems, and treat them with respect in the trenches of life. When we discuss a semi philosophical issue of 'right to life,' we are able to weigh the issues and come to a conclusion. But it is easy to not apply that same reasoning in our daily life, remembering to similarly respect all people always.

Well, that begs the question... How do we remember to give EVERYONE their deserved human dignity by being a child of God at all times in our daily life?

I think recalling the examples of two historical figures who did this, Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesus, can be helpful. While being condemned and attacked by so many across the nation, King didn't disrespect his condemners. Rather he spoke of someday working together with them as a united people with EVERYONE included. While being crucified on cross in Luke 23:34, Jesus PRAYED (while they were KILLING HIM) for his offenders saying, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."

By the power of a typical human being, it may be impossible to readily forgive our offenders and do what those two exceptional people did. However, by relying upon the strength and grace of God, it IS possible, for "with God all things are possible." (Matt 19:26). Perhaps the phrase What Would Jesus Do (WWJD) can help us do that. :)  - I actually didn't think of that until right now, but it seems like a brilliant idea that I will implement myself! :) 

--- "Just remember, you can do anything you set your mind to, but it takes action, perseverance, and facing your fears."

I love my life!

P.S. Hopefully this post made sense. It had a lot more larger words and lengthy phrases than I usually speak with. I highlighted the main point anyway: to recognize times when we condemn people for condemning people. It's super interesting!! :)

1 comment:

  1. While I was reading this, I remembered a bumper sticker I used to see on a car at the library I would always go to. It said something along the lines of "Why do we kill people to prove to other people that killing people is wrong?" I always found myself agreeing with the thought of that bumper sticker.

    ReplyDelete