Thursday, September 1, 2011

Changing Perspective

Whoa... Gratitude. It is powerful... As I am going to bed doing my nightly Evening Gratitude by writing in my Gratitude Journal, I decided to switch it up. Instead of strictly giving gratitude, I recently had been writing primarily about my day. I did include some things I felt grateful for in it, but it wasn't being as effective as I thought it would be. Instead of being overcome with truly grateful feelings, I was going through the motions just to get it done. And to make matters worse, tonight I was about to write about all the things I want to improve on from today. I felt like today wasn't my best because I've gotten behind on many things, hence the gap between blog posts, and was going to write out my frustrations.

But then I remembered that despite all the things I need to improve on and am struggling with, there are still things to be truly grateful for. Rather than dwelling on my failings like I really wanted to, I forced myself to write about what I'm REALLY grateful for. Changing perspective, seeing your life from another angle, is one thing I try to use to keep my focus off of myself and my problems (which causes depression) and instead recognizing the gifts I have in my life. If you are ever having trouble with expressing gratitude, ask yourself what I asked myself: "What am I really (honestly and truly) grateful for?"

As I was writing, I did my best to change perspectives and take the question seriously... I have been frustrated because I haven't been successful at coming up with solid goals and plans despite spending 8+ hrs the last two days working on them. BUT with a change of perspective, I saw it differently. Instead of being frustrated with a lack of success, I felt really grateful that I have such a great determination to succeed. I'm grateful that I have time to discover my goals in life. I'm grateful that I've been searching for my passions because a lot of people just don't see its importance!

I was frustrated with friends of mine at my church today and how I reacted to them. BUT with a change of perspective, I realized I have been gifted a great opportunity. I have told people that we are always in control of how we react in any situation; nobody can cause us do respond in any way. And these frustrating friends of mine are giving me an opportunity to grow. I was wishing they would change and stop annoying me, but I realized they are challenging me to respond lovingly towards them. A friend told me that when we ask God for more wisdom or patience or other virtue, He responds by giving us more opportunities to prove that we have it. I'm grateful that God trusts me to respond positively in situations that I become frustrated in; I'm grateful He has given me this opportunity to grow. :)

Lastly, I was frustrated that I wasn't able to spend time with a phenomenal friend while she was in Davis for the summer. I helped her move out of Davis back to Reno forever. After a number of hours with her for a few days in her last week here, I was depressed that I didn't talk to her more! But instead I decided to try to be thankful for the little time we did talk. Despite our little interaction, she challenged me more than most have in my life. She kept asking me to make decisions for what I want in my life. Additionally, she gave me a giant white board and a couple of other things that she couldn't take with her back to Reno. I didn't realize how truly grateful I am that I was able to spend some time with her and get to know her a little bit until I took the step back. She impacted me so much that, while I was writing this gratitude, I called her and left her a message on how she impacted me. :)
--> Update: She responded the next day telling me: "I'm glad I made a difference, that's all I wanted to do this summer, it's why I branched. I really enjoyed our conversations. I'm sure I won't forget you either."

Seeing your life from another angle is one of the most powerful tools to relieve stress, frustration, and perspective. I use it all the time to de-stress before tests with the understanding that this single grade will not kill me. That isn't to say I don't study hard and try my best in every one I take because I do - college tests are quite significant. However, being stressed will not make me (and likely won't make you) perform any better on it! To effectively do this, I see the test (or other significant performing event - like a track race for me) from another angle. Instead of fretting over the outcome, I express my thanks internally for the opportunity. Not everyone can be in college taking this test. Not everyone will be able to compete for an NCAA team. I instead feel privileged to not have to worry about food, shelter, water, feeding my family, surviving the night, etc. Instead I have the time to worry about something as comparably inconsequential as a college test. Isn't that wonderful that we are blessed to have free time to worry about something that isn't going to kill us?

Comment below! How can you change your perspective in different frustrating areas in your life? How can you see irritating situations as a challenge to grow into a better person? How can you change your regret (of lack of time/effort) to being grateful for at least (you had did more than you could have)? Where can you change your perspective and appreciate the opportunity for performance instead of stress over the outcome?

I love my life! :)

1 comment:

  1. I am most grateful of course, to my parents. I realize not everyone can say that, so I'm even MORE grateful :) Hopefully they know how I feel, but I'll let them know again, just in case.

    ReplyDelete